Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My Job


I think one of the many questions I have gotten this year has been. How do you like being an RA? I would like to clarify my job a little bit. I am NOT an RA. I don't even work for UHDS. (University Housing and Dining) I work as an executive of the Resident Hall Association aka RHA. That is the governing body of students that help support and promote the halls and their Hall Councils.

My full tittle is the National Communications Coordinator or NCC. My job in a nut shell, I represent OSU by taking a delegation or residents to leadership conferences. There are three a year, PACURH, No Frills, and NACURH. I am the representative of OSU who sits in on boardroom meetings and voices my opinion on Pacific and National decisions that are made.

PACURH is the Pacific Affiliate of College and University Resident Halls. This is just the Pacific Conference. It will be held at Western Washington University this year on November 13, 14, and 15. Since WWU is a smaller school we are only allowed to bring 5 delegates besides ourselves and an advisor. In previous years an average delegation was between 8 to 10 people plus the NCC and advisor. I'm excited for this as well as a bit stressed.

No Frills is the Winter Conference that is all business. Only the NCC, Advisor, and NRHH President goes to this. (NRHH is another group on campus that I am a member of, the National Resident Hall Honorary)

NACURH is just like PACURH except it's national. This year it's hosted in Southern California at a term school which means that it's actually going to be at the beginning of the summer vs. in the spring. It'll be interesting. The last NACURH was at Arizona University. That was my first conference as NCC. The theme was "our place in time" so we dressed up in 50s outfits one day.

As for what goes on at these conferences....allot of spirit for the delegates and allot of meetings for me. The delegates get to go to programing info sessions to learn things they can bring back to OSU. I require that they take notes at these so that they can type up what they learned that way I can compile everything and hand it out to the halls later.


There is really allot more to it but for now this is a good short summary. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment