Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Ballroom Dancing


For those of you who didn't already know. I have fallen in love........with dancing.

It started last Winter when I took a simple swing class and was invited to an OSU Ballroom Dance. I wasn't expecting what I found. When you walk into a Ballroom dance you are usually greeted by music and people of all kinds. At the time all I knew was a little single time swing, which is one of the most basic dances. So when someone asked me to dance a waltz or salsa I was expecting them to leave me when they learned I didn't know how. Rather the quick reply was always "No problem, I'll show you how". You never know what's going to happen at a ballroom dance, they are better to watch than a civil war football game. (I'm really not a football fan anyways so that's probably not the best analogy)

Through out the year last year, I continuously went to these dances to keep learning. I also took several different ballroom classes. Through out this time I had heard about the Ballroom Dance Team called Coolsheos. It was one of those, maybe someday in the future I might try it type thing. When I heard about the auditions in the spring It took a lot of contemplation before I decided to try out. There were several complications to joining the team including the fact that I have a very busy job not to mention classes this year. I went ahead and tried out and ended up making the team.

SO yes this means that I'm crazy busy BUT it also means that I am absolutely doing what I love.

I am now fluent in Single Time Swing, West Coast Swing (my personal fav), Waltz, Foxtrot, a little Tango, Cha Cha and I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Any ways, there are still styles of dance that I have on my too learn list. This term I am taking Latin I, and Ballroom II. I will find out tomorrow who my Coolshoes dance partner will be for the Single time swing routine. Kind of excited.

Well I am literally of to the First Ballroom Dance of the year right now :) Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment